Friday, May 31, 2013

NCAA Tabs My Image As The Background For Its Baseball Regional Marketing Campaign


The last thing I expected to see this morning when surfing the web was one of my images gracing the background of the NCAA's marketing literature of the baseball Regional about to start this weekend in Tallahassee. This was an HDR image I created a couple of years ago during a Florida v FSU game, shooting several images at different exposures from up high in the stands behind first base. I took the shots and created the image for Unconquered Magazine as part of my duties as Featured Photographer for the publication. As an afterthought, I transmitted the image to FSU's Sports Information Department, another entity for which I shoot, as I know they can always use art shots of the stadium. I always though tit was a cool image, and it's nice to see that the NCAA thought enough of it to use it in marketing the event.

Busy Weekend Ahead

As the weekend arrives, it looks like my plate is going to potentially be full with baseball. I was hired by Troy University to shoot the team's opening game today at noon in the NCAA Regional and I'm shooting for Florida State tomorrow. If Troy is still alive after Saturday, looks like I'll be shooting for them on Sunday and then on Monday (if a Monday game is necessary) unless their opponent is FSU. In that case, I will be shooting for FSU. Any way you cut it, I have a lot of baseball to shoot this weekend.


NCAA Regional Coaches' Press Conference

Yesterday, I photographed the pre-tournament press conference for FSU's Sports Information Department. A last minute, hastily arranged shot-list assignments was an image of the four coaches together in front of the podium. FSU's SI Department wanted to make a print of the image for each of the coaches as a memento of their participation in the Regional Tournament and I was asked if I could pull off something that would be worthy of a print. Thankfully, I had thought to bring my new, trusty Oli-Bounce flash bounce card that I made a few days ago from a piece of foam core. I devoted a recent Blog Post to this thing, singing its praises as a great , inexpensive way to light subjects on the go when using a camera mounted strobe. In a matter of seconds, the Oli-Bounce was attached to my SB-900 strobe, badda boom, badda bing, hello printable image of the coaches.

No shadows, no glare, just a nice, decently lit shot of the coaches taken with a Nikon D3s, 35-70mm f2.8 lens @ f8, ISO 400 and 1/60th second shutter speed.



By the way, the Oli-Bounce also worked wonders when used with an 80-200mm f2.8 lens as well. Both images above were shot at 200mm, and the same camera settings as the first image. The glare you see in the second photo above (just above the NCAA logo) was not caused by my flash. It was a reflection of the lights used by local TV stations who were shooting video of the press conference.

The Oli-Bounce - putting the bounce in bounce flash.

Have a great weekend, all.

No comments: